I first came across this recipe at my second year at NECI during a class focusing on the balance of taste and flavor of food. This fully vegetarian dish has a full flavor that keeps you coming back for more. Don’t let the dainty appearance fool you, these spring rolls are seriously addictive. I think they bring more to the table than a typical Mediterranean pasta, or baked mac and cheese.
For this recipe I like to use honey roasted peanuts. They add another flavor to the spring rolls, and bring the dish to the next level. Fresh cilantro can also be substituted for coriander leaves if they are unavailable.
- 2 oz Package bean-thread noodles
- 3 Tbsp Rice vinegar
- 4 Large lettuce leafs
- 1 package Rice paper rounds
- 1/4 C Roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 Scallion, cut into two inch julienne strips
- 1/4 C Finely shredded carrot
- 1/3 C Thinly Sliced cabbage
- 1/4 C Fresh Basil leafs
- 1/4 C Mint leaves
- 1/4 C Coriander leaves.
- 1 Batch Spicy peanut sauce (see below)
- Soak the noodles in boiled water for 15 minutes
- Prepare the vegetables while the noodles are soaking, leaving the basil, mint and coriander as whole leafs.
- After the 15 minutes are up, strain the noodles and toss with the vinegar
- soak the rice paper sheets in warm water until they become soft and pliable two at a time
- take one of the softened sheets and dry it with a clean paper towel before moving it to a work surface
- lay out the other ingredients in the center of this sheet leaving enough room for it to be rolled later. starting with the lettuce leaf, rice noodles, crushed peanuts, scallion, carrot, cabbage, basil, mint and coriander.
- Roll the spring roll like a burrito, being sure to keep everything tight
- dry the second rice paper and use it to double wrap the spring roll
- repeat steps 4-8 until all ingredients are used
For the Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp Peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 C Water
- Fry the garlic and red pepper flake in oil until the garlic is golden brown
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil
- remove from heat and adjust seasonings to desired taste
- serve warm with the spring rolls