I found this recipe for blueberry scones in the cooks Illustrated Baking book. I wanted to try it because it has a technique to keep the berries from breaking and bleeding into the dough before the scones are baked. Freezing the berries helps them to hold up to the pressure of being kneaded and worked into the dough. Also making the scones like a jelly roll helps to keep the berries evenly distributed through the scone. The extra steps do pay off in the finished product.
- 10 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 7 1/2 Oz Blueberries
- 1/2 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Sour Cream
- 2 C All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp grated Lemon zest
- Preheat Oven to 425°F with the oven rack in the middle position.
- Dice 8 tablespoons of butter into small cubes and place in the freezer until needed.
- Place blueberries in freezer with the butter.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter on the stove and set aside.
- Mix together the milk and sour cream together and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the frozen butter to the flour mixture and lightly mix it to coat the butter with flour.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and mix until just combined
- Transfer the dough to a liberally floured counter, dust the top of the dough with flour and and knead together until it starts to hold its shape.
- Roll the dough out into a 12 inch square, fold it into thirds like a letter, and then into thirds in the other direction. Transfer this smaller square into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- After chilling, roll the dough out into 12 inches again. place frozen berries on the dough and press down to press them slightly into the dough. Now roll the dough into a tube so the berries are trapped on the inside of the dough.
- Roll this log into a rectangle and cut into desired shape. place cut scones on a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- brush the tops of the scones with melted butter, and if desired dust the tops with sugar.
- Bake until the scones are golden brown, being sure to rotate the pan at least once during baking.
- let cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.